For some of us a new year is an exciting time full of hope and promise and goal setting for new accomplishments. For others, it’s confusing and overwhelming to feel the pressure of all that a new year brings, or doesn’t bring for them.
Feeling that there is nothing coming, there is no goal to set because you don’t have anything to hope for or to work with? Here are a few tips that may help:
- Don’t be too hard on yourself. A goal is not destroyed just because you didn’t work toward it one day.
- Don’t dump your goals just because you haven’t immediately met them. We have built a society that is geared toward immediate gratification but the life we live and the life we want doesn’t always come that way. Some goals may take years in development and that’s okay.
- Break your goals into very small chunks. As the old joke goes, how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!:) How do achieve your goals? One step at a time.
- Celebrate your victories! Every little step that takes you forward is a victory. Sometimes, even a step back is a learning experience that actually moves you forward. Give yourself a second to acknowledge your effort and feel the win.
- Don’t stop! Knowing that you are making progress doesn’t give you permission to stop when the next step is harder. We all hit roadblocks sometimes. Don’t give up-don’t ever give up.
If you feel like you need help getting started, or recognize that to have a healthier family unit, you need some guidance for your child or your relationships. Maybe you aren’t sure how to help your partner, elder or teen through some difficult times. Maybe your past experience with disability or injury has taken “the wind from your sails”.
Reach out! There is no shame in getting help. Everyone needs the right tools for the job. Let us help you fill your tool box! We have tools to share.